Friday, July 3, 2009

Public Enemies (With a Hint of Bitterness)

First off I could have just filled this entire blog with photos of this sexy sexy man and then passed out from exhaustion, but I only chose 1 photo from the movie because that is what I am going to talk about.

So Public Enemies came out earlier this week. I am deeply disappointed in myself that I have yet to see it. Like most girls out there, I too LOVE Johnny Depp. Even more so, Johnny playing a sexy bad boy, who I'm sure we will fall in love with and feel for this poor bank robber. But more than that this movie is a part of my history, andddd I'm a little bitter about it. I know you are thinking yeah yeah you are American, its my history too. And this is such HUGE history for our country and rarely and classes teach you about it, John Dillinger was basically responsible for the birth of the F.B.I. Come on I think thats note worthy. But I have a personal connection to this movie, or this piece of history. My uncle Russel Clark (okay so my Great Uncle... hahaha) was a member of the Dillinger gang (John Dillinger is Johnny Depp's character). So this has a lot of meaning to my family. Its basically the only time the elders of our family have been able to captivate us youngings for hours talking about this. The first time I heard that my Uncle was a famous bank robber, I was like that is SOOOOO COOOL! I mean yeah it would have been more moral if he was on the F.B.I. side or something, but I've always known my family was badass. Hahaha! But seriously he really was in the gang. Now if you have read any of the books, especially Public Enemies (what the movie is based on), they never really mention my uncle in depth. They actually don't know that much about the gang and inner workings that well. No one ever told the story. But the fact that they used my grandmother to transfer money between families, gives you the truth of his involvement. My grandma was born in '33 and Clark had recently escaped from his first stint in jail, and they would put money in her diaper and have another family babysit her. Also my uncle was offered a HUGE sum of money to tell the true story while he served his life sentence in jail. He refused. Kind of pissed the family off, but it definantly showed his loyalty. My uncle served his life sentence because he was caught breaking Dillinger out of jail... go figure. Anywho, even my mom remembers him. Because he was actually released from jail to die, more or less. They would have to visit and go say hi to him in his bed, my mom just remembers him being very tall and big, but super skinny.


But enough of the history lesson, I'm bitter because my Uncle was left out of the movie, or so I think. The bible that is IMDB, never listed his name as a character in the movie. I will bring myself to see the movie because I'm told they focus on many different gangs and the FBI. So I'm going to go and love it because at the end of the day Johnny makes me happy. Hehehe!

Bad Boy Lovin.

3 comments:

Melissa said...

I'm going to see it tomorrow. I think I just might melt!
Yum!

And as I was saying to my best friend..If Johnny really was an outlaw bank robber I would support and adore him!

=)

Jennifer Leigh said...

Hahahaha! True story, I would have probably cut out the clippings in the paper and secretly hung them up somewhere to pine over him. Then maybe hung out at local banks hoping to meet him. hehehe!

BonBon Rose Girls Kristin said...

Oh Johnny, you're like a fine wine.